- 12-cup bundt pan or two 9″x5″ loaf pans
- PAM baking spray
- Large mixing bowl
- Medium mixing bowl
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 tsps ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 cup corn oil
- 1 cup honey
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Juice of 1 orange, diluted to ½ cup with water
- 2 Tbsps instant espresso powder
- 1 cup boiling water
- I preheated the oven 350°F.
- In a large bowl, the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and cloves were sifted together.
- I prepared the coffee by mixing the espresso powder with 1 cup of boiling water. I think this is a better option than normal coffee or even fresh brewed espresso because the powdered espresso lacks the acidity of the fresh coffee options.
- In a separate bowl, I mixed together the oil, honey, sugars, eggs, vanilla, coffee, and orange juice.
- The wet mixture was added to the dry, mixing slowly from the center to incorporate the flour without lumps. This resulted in quite a thin batter. Do not let this scare you, it’s completely fine.
- I chose to use 2 loaf pans but a bunt cake pan would work well here as well. I greased my load pans with PAM baking spray and divided the batter between the two pans evenly.
- The cakes were baked for roughly 60 minutes and checked with a knife to make sure the center was done baking. The knife should come out clean and the cake should not be overly wiggly.